White Apple Passion

White Apple Passion
for Health & Passion in Life

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Self-Portrait as of July 9th, 2011

My Journal * On Thursday, July 9th 2011, after coming home from a funeral, I got a call from the nurse who was with me during my breast biopsy the day before.  I knew she was going to call me to check on how I was doing.  The results of the biopsy was not going to be available until at least Friday.  During my biopsy the doctor told me she thought everything looked encouraging, nothing suspicious looking.  This gave me a fairly confident outlook when walking out of the hospital from my biopsy procedure.  As I continued my phone conversation with the nurse, I joked a bit about the "bounding" bandaging of my whole chest.  I hadn't realized how important it was to have a tight "bondage" of my chest until I took the wrap off after 24 hours from the procedure.  Ouch!  The giving away let it "all hang out" which caused "motion" which also caused pain.  I then realized the meaning of the nurse's advice from the day before telling me to wear a REALLY good bra!  On came two sports bras!

As the laughter stopped, the nurse proceded to tell me they did get the results back from Pathology.  As soon as I heard that, I knew it was bad news.  The sentence would not have started the way it did, if otherwise....I just knew.  She told me I had DCIS, short for Ductal Carcinoma In Situ and would probably involve a lumpectomy and radiation.  (She would not use the "C" word.)  The good news---my mammogram caught this at the earliest stage.  I was then told they had an appointment for Friday to see a surgeon.  Do I want to take the appointment?  My brain was full.  I numbly said, yes, I will take the appointment.  This is how my journey of breast cancer has begun....

No comments:

Post a Comment